Thursday, December 24, 2009

First work begins on the SR5.

My friend Eli from the 3TC forum has been pretty psyched to help me get some work done on my Corolla. I drove over on Tuesday with a project list and a car full of parts, most of which won't happen till 2010. The day was dry but cold, and we started mapping out my new exhaust system.

There were a few reasons this upgrade was high on my list of things to do. First, 1974 saw the big increases in safety and emissions requirements. For the Corollas, this meant bigger bumpers (ugly), a complex system connecting the seatbelts to the ignition, and a very restricted exhaust system. The emissions changes resulted in a loss of more than 10hp and significantly slower track times. Also, I find the exhaust note of a car to be one of the best ways to give a car some personality. It's one of the easiest ways to free up 5-10hp, improve mpg, and unleash the beautiful and unique sound of a cars soul. Well, it's not always such an experience (YouTube search "Dinan m5 exhaust" or "Porsche carrera gt exhaust").

The stock exhaust system with 1" piping will be replaced by an unknown model of exhaust header, 2.25" piping, a high flow cat (to quiet the sound a bit), and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.

We got about half way done mocking up the new exhaust. And rather than putting the old one back on, I drove home with half an exhaust system and no muffler. LOUD : )

I expect the system to be completed Sunday.








Posted from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. over a year since posting?

    weak-sauce. you don't even have this car any more.

    ReplyDelete